The Influence of Social Media :
The lullaby to engage into Social Media Networks is catching fire. The more you spread the more you gain.
I will consider one more fictional case:
A jewelry shop: NABC Diamonds.They are small jewelry shop at the corner of a major boulevard. They have good quality jewels and at comparable prices. The designs they present are one of a kind and that’s why they are in the business forever 30 years.
Now the NABC Diamonds have following positive factors:
1. The reputation hence the repeat customers.
2. The quality consistency and differentiation of product line.
3. Comparable rates which draws more customers.
4. Location is very ideal.
Over the years NABC Diamonds have been using the traditional marketing methods of putting advertisements in newspapers, local TV etc. They also sponsored for some of the radio ads and other public events in the area.
Then, as the effect of internet grew, they opened up their website and added their collections online.But, till now they havent seen sufficient revenue growth because of the website.
People still prefer coming to the store and checking the collection and buying, which is obvious as jewelry is expensive and very few will consider them checking online and deciding right on spot for buying.
Although their website has merchant account and people can pay and buy stuff online, very few actually use the service and its consuming money.
Now comes in Social Media Marketing :
1. NABC Diamond should consider having a Facebook account and younger generation customers should be requested to join in. The reason they will join is Store will post random discount events and offers on it.
2. Same will be done with Twitter!
3. Its not just a profile, its an experience where people who have bought the amazing jewels recently will be photographed and tagged!
4. Twitter will not only spread content from the store but important information such as anticipated rise and fall in prices (need some person with specialized insight of the markets)
5. People hate updates shown on their screen unless they are really good. Thus each update must contain something that customer wants.
6. Upcoming designs can be shown and depending on how many like it..can be decided to be ordered or made.
7.Information can be pushed about fashion which goes along with the jewelry.
The uses of utilizing the social media networks is impressive. It will not only increase stores visibility but also will improve its reputation and penetration in market. The jewels can be classified and updates as per age groups, genders,tastes and preferences.
The chameleon :
Many businesses are not as big as they appear on social media (The Vri** Limited, Fo**s etc). They have huge fan following on Twitter and more than 3000 likes on Facebook. But the numbers dont add up, they havent updated any content recently and I checked their websites and they are outdated too. The Twitter as we know now can be tweaked to increase the number of followers. I did it for my account (fake account)and I was following 1000 people/groups in two days, none of which I know or recognise and I was followed by 600 people (again dont know who are they!).Thus, The Social Media sea is as True as Fake. Companies need to check on the basics before they jump in to conclusions and business decisions based on Social Media appearances.
PEACE – Niranjan